In the nineteenth and early twentieth century, the site was occupied by the Castle Hotel, which can be seen in old photographs, and in paintings by Sisley of Hampton Court in 1872-3.
The Hotel was demolished in 1930 as part of the southern approach works for Lutyens’ Hampton Court Bridge. The roundabout that has existed in place of the Castle Hotel since the 1930’s has not been a success. It is unattractive and difficult to cross. Visitors leaving Hampton Court Palace are discouraged from visiting East Molesey .
In retrospect the demolition of the Castle Hotel can be seen as a loss to the area in terms of townscape and the vitality of the riverside. The roundabout is an ugly gap in the built form of East Molesey.
Given the current development pressures, it is legitimate to consider rebuilding the Castle site as an alternative to the Jolly Boatman and Hampton Court Station sites.
Next: the 'Castle' site